Our campus staff uses a variety of resources accepted by the Texas Education Agency to ensure active learning and creativity.
Our teachers will have specific access to the following resources and more:
- Learning Without Tears
- Handwriting Without Tears
- HighScope Curriculum
- (Children’s Learning Institute) CLI Engage Resource System
Age Requirement: Students must turn 4 by September 1, 2020 in order to attend our campus for the 2020-2021 school year.
Eligibility: Our Pre-K program is a state-funded, tuition-free, full-day program and as such we follow the Texas Education Agency eligibility requirements. Students must meet one of the following criteria outlined by the Texas Education Agency:
- Is eligible for the National Free and Reduced Lunch Program or receives SNAP or TANF or Medicaid benefits; or
- Is unable to speak and comprehend the English language (as determined by district or public school assessment); or
- Is homeless, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (as determined by district or public school); or
- Is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
- Is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
- Is or has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing; or
- Star of Texas Award, child of eligible person.
All qualifying students must verify their eligibility upon seat offer acceptance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are the Pre-K teachers certified?
Yes. All Pre-K teachers must hold a valid Texas Early Childhood Certification and Texas English Language Learners Certification
Is there opportunity for free play/centers in PreK?
The SST Pre-K Experience allows Pre-K students to be actively engaged in purposeful play and meaningful centers the majority of the day.
What type of discipline will be used in the PreK classroom?
SST Pre-K Teachers use a Positive Behavior Reinforcement system.
Is the Pre-K program a full day program?
Yes, the Pre-K program is a full day program. Hours of instruction start at 7:40 am - 2:45 pm.
Will there be an opportunity for movement, recess, special classes like art, music, library, PE? How often is recess in a day, is PE offered every day?
Music and movement, art, PE, and music opportunities will naturally occur in the Pre-K environment throughout each day. Though students will not attend a specific class with specialized teachers, the Pre-K teacher is expected to provide these opportunities and more based on Texas Pre-K Guidelines.
How is STEM applied to the Pre-K program?
STEM or STEAM activities vary based on campus access. This is not a mandated curriculum, however, SST Pre-K Teachers likely to incorporate both throughout each unit.